Thursday, February 9, 2012

My First Square Foot Garden

I'm in the process of starting my first Square Foot Garden.  I tried a raised bed garden last year having never heard of Square Foot Gardening (SFG).  I grew some really huge plants but not one vegetable!  I take that back I finally grew a squash, but the squash bugs got in and took care of that one.  Going to go at it a little different this year and follow the SFG plan the best I can.  I just finished building two frames and will use my previous frame this year also.  The SFG book is really awesome, but I'm a little worried about trying to start my own seeds and when to plant etc.

The SFG book says that you need 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 compost.  I'm a little confused on how to put it all together because the vermiculite and the peat moss come in cube foot bags (but the peat moss expands to 8 cubic feet from a 4 cubic feet bag) and the compost comes in pound bags.  Guess I'm just going to fill my five gallon pickle bucket with equal ingredients and keep adding until my box is full.

Vermiculite is not real easy to find, but I did finally find it at Stringer Nursery in Tulsa.  They were very helpful and I bought two big bags.  I also just got my seeds in the mail so will try and start those this weekend.  I hope the seeds I bought are better than the seeds I could have purchased at Stringer.  The seeds I bought from Burpee.com are like $4 a pack and the seeds at the nursery were around $2 and from the same company.

No comments:

Post a Comment