Friday, April 19, 2013

Cold in Oklahoma

I'm getting my second season of Square Foot Gardening started this week.  I have been traveling a lot this year and haven't had time to start my seeds.  Will buy some plants from the local nursery.  I am going to try and can some of my veggies this year and I have discovered juicing.  I am adding one more SFG to the mix and going to focus a lot of my veggies on canning and juicing.  I'm going to get all of my Mel's Mix  supplies tomorrow and make my new soil for the new box and fill in the others with compost.  It has been freaking cold here in Oklahoma this spring.  I was looking at my old posts and this time last year I already had plants growing!  We had a freeze last night.  Going to be a little behind last year.

I'm purchasing a pea tunnel for one of my SFG's, and grow spinach and lettuce under it.  Maybe the peas will help protect the leafy veggies from the OK sun.  By the time my tomatoes were ready last year, the leafy stuff was done.  I'll post lots of pictures.

I want to can as much as I can so I will be purchasing a canner soon and grow product that I can can.  I have my Great Grandmas pickle recipe so I will definitely try that.

I also bought a juicer, so I will be growing some beets, kale, chard for that.  Drinking this stuff is pretty gross, I hope I can make it work.  I know it is good for you but it tastes like I'm drinking dirt!

I will keep you posted.

Happy Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment